Connecting Across Cultures
In this course, you will learn techniques to connect with people from different cultures. These cultural concepts will greatly impact your professional success and relationships with individuals from different cultural backgrounds. The content of this course is based on years of research from cultural experts around the world. Upon completion of the course, you will understand how to culturally connect with others, drive greater results and improve cross-cultural relationships. You can expect to learn how cultural values affect everyone’s attitudes and behavior and how to interpret other people’s actions through a cultural lens.
This Course Starts in:
All sessions are at the same time each week.
The Influence of Culture
- September 20, 2021
- During this kickoff session, we will explore the impact our culture has on our behavior and perceptions. We can increase productivity and decrease tension in our key relationships through careful consideration of our own culture and the cultural values of others.
Individualism vs. Collectivism
- September 27, 2021
- During this session, we will explore a cornerstone set of cultural values: Individualism vs. Collectivism. Within cultures that have a stronger focus on Individualism, members will tend to focus on individual goals and the rights of the individual person. In Collectivistic cultures, members tend to prefer group goals, what is best for the collective group, and personal relationships.
Power Distance & Uncertainty Avoidance
- October 4, 2021
- Different cultures view the role of authority differently. Some cultures value hierarchy and structure and other cultures value equality and openness. In this session, we will explore the cultural implications of the amount of direction people expect from their leaders and the need for eliminating ambiguity.
Concept of Time & Universalism vs. Particularism
- October 11, 2021
- Time is a universally accepted concept but viewed and managed very differently depending on cultural values. During this session, we will explore the cultural viewpoints of time and how they impact relationships and results. We will also explore how cultures see different definitions of what is right or wrong.
Communication Styles & Activity Orientation
- October 18, 2021
- Have you ever tried communicating with someone from a different culture and it seemed like you were not connecting? It is possible that cultural communication challenges were at play in the conversation. During this session, we will explore typical communication approaches for different cultures and how to adjust your style to meet the needs of others.